Town foiled by the frost

19/01 Updated: 26/01 09:10

STRATFORD Town were frustrated by the weather when their scheduled Baker Joiner Midland Alliance clash against Tividale at the DCS Stadium was postponed due to a frozen pitch on Tuesday night.

The pitch passed an afternoon inspection but an unexpected drop in temperature in the early evening meant it quickly froze again which left the match referee with no alternative but to call the match off just 30 minutes before kick-off.

Town are due back in action with a trip to fellow mid-table rivals Heath Hayes this Saturday (3pm) which is followed by a tough test at fifth placed Causeway United on Tuesday (7.45pm).

Meanwhile, Town kept their second successive clean sheet as they battled out a 0-0 Baker Joiner Midland Alliance draw at Loughborough University on Saturday.

The visitors survived a scare almost straight from the kick-off when Andy Gregory looked to have fouled Michael Emmerson in the area but strong appeals for a penalty were waved away.

Loughborough continued to press and Richard Morris was forced into a fine save to deny Jordan Baker who followed up by delivering an inviting cross which Matt Collino headed over from close range.

Town struggled to get a foothold in the game with Collino again going close before Dan Nti and Baker had efforts well saved by Morris.

Town weathered the storm and Joe Wright ended a dangerous run by firing straight at keeper Brendan Hazlett with the unmarked Martin Thompson waiting in vain for a pass which would have resulted in a simple tap-in.

Thompson went close shortly after with a header from Michael Hayden’s cross which flew inches wide, while Hazlett followed up with marvellous saves to thwart Stuart Herlihy and Thompson in quick succession.

Chris Murphy was brought down on the edge of the area just before the interval but Ricky Baker’s free kick was easily saved by Hazlett.

Stratford almost broke the deadlock with a well struck shot from Thompson which the diving Hazlett turned onto the post before the ball was scrambled clear.

Wright and Thompson both went close with headers following fine crosses from Hayden but Loughborough continued to look dangerous and Morris had to be alert to deal with an effort from Emmerson.

The hosts should have opened the scoring shortly after when Emmerson’s cross found the unmarked Nti who somehow headed wide with the goal at his mercy.

Town also had strong appeals for a penalty turned down when young substitute Jamie Molyneux tangled with Callum Williams in the area.

Both sides continued to press for a winner and Morris produced an outstanding save to turn over a powerfull shot from Beckett, while at the other end Molyneux was denied by a fine save from Hazlett.

The point kept Town 13th in the table but they do have games in hand on the majority of sides above them.

Popular Stories »

1 Race to save teenager with rare disorder

2 Multi-million pound revamp of Stratford Leisure Centre begins

3 Shipston death crash prompts safety demands

4 Public inquiry into 150 homes in Long Itchington

5 Parking firm letter gaffe sparks security worries

More sport »

Pozzi rubs lines-up with the stars

THE ever modest Andrew Pozzi headed to the

Beckley makes a point

MYKEL BECKLEY grabbed a second half equaliser to

Relegation fears eased

Chesterfield 1 Stratford 2 IMPROVING Stratford eased their

Masters in the medals

THE final meeting in the Midland Women’s Cross

Regional sport »

Evesham Observer
A bright future in prospect as lights unveiled

PERSHORE Tennis Centre welcomed nearly 200 people through its doors ...

Redditch Standard
Powell clinches British team silver medal

WOODRUSH High School pupil Kathryn Powell performed superbly to win ...

Leamington Observer
Coventry Blaze leave it late at home to Dundee Stars

JAKUB Jakub Sindel netted the crucial game-winning goal as Blaze ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Business Directory »

See your advert here »