By Steve Hayes 16/02 Updated: 24/02 09:35
FIRE chiefs have warned of the dangers of filming blazes on mobile phones after close-up footage of a car burning on a Stratford street was posted online.
In the footage, which appears to have been shot on a phone, flames can be seen coming from the petrol tank of the car, thought to be a Volkswagen Golf, which quickly get bigger before finally engulfing it entirely.
But despite the danger of the fuel tank exploding, instead of retreating from the blaze the unidentified person filming foolishly approaches to within feet of it.
The shocking video was posted on YouTube by someone with the username 'pawelweglowski' following the fire, which happened outside a house in Shottery Road, opposite the Shell Garage, at around 6pm on Thursday (February 9).
Gary Phillips, deputy chief fire officer of Warwickshire Fire Service, confirmed they were at the scene within minutes of a 999 call being made. It is not known if the call was made before the filming took place.
Mr Phillips pressed home the importance of not approaching blazes.
He said: "The fire, which appeared to have started near the petrol tank, was quickly brought under control by firefighters from Stratford fire station and was not deemed as suspicious.
"Safety of the community is one of our key priorities and in instances like this we would advise members of the public ensure that they contact the fire and rescue service by dialling 999 and not approach the vehicle as fires can be unpredictable and spread quickly."
Visit www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avq9OtoBgzA to view the video.
GRAVE concerns about the lack of aftercare for
PUPILS at Ilmington Primary School are in fine
'YOU will be caught' - this was the
THEATRE lovers are being offered the chance to
KIND-HEARTED fund-raisers have arranged a mud run and cycle challenge ...
A LOCAL man is desperately trying to raise funds to ...
A QUICK-THINKING bank worker stopped fraudsters in their tracks after ...