Man died after fatal cocktail of drink and drugs

By Steve Hayes 17/04 Updated: 18/04 13:13

Buy photos » Harry Hall died after taking a cocktail of drugs and alcohol. (s)

A MAN was found dead by his friends in a Stratford flat after taking a fatal cocktail of drugs and alcohol, an inquest has heard.

Harry Hall, who grew up in Henley, died in the early hours of October 17 after being found unresponsive by friends who had also taken drugs, Leamington Coroner's Court heard.

The court heard the 21-year-old, who drank around four litres of cider a day, went to the flat of friend Adam Smith, in Evesham Place, which was next to his, on the evening of October 16.

Mr Smith and another man, Matthew Court, both revealed in a statement they had taken heroin before Harry had arrived and all three then drank cider before going to sleep on Mr Smith's bed at around midnight.

At around 1.15am Mr Smith and Mr Court woke to find Harry unconscious so they phoned an ambulance.

A paramedic arrived, but attempts to revive Harry were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Toxicology reports later revealed he had heroin, alcohol, diazepam and prescribed anti-depressants in his system.

Speaking about him at the inquest, Harry's aunt Ann Makri said he had been depressed and had told her he was unhappy at the flat in Evesham Place, where he had lived for around two years.

She said she was aware he had a problem with alcohol which she had spoken to him about several times, but insisted whenever he had stayed at her home she saw nothing to suggest he was taking drugs.

Mrs Makri described Harry as a 'good lad' who was 'mellow and well-behaved'.

As a teenager he had been heavily involved with a project to raise funds to build a skatepark as a teenager with the Hub youth group in the town.

At the time of his death former youth leader Peter Crathorne recalled Harry as 'an intelligent and creative lad with a huge personality'.

But a month before his death Harry had told his doctor he was not sleeping because of pain in his legs and said he had been having some suicidal thoughts - though he insisted he wouldn't act on them.

Recording an open verdict, assistant deputy coroner, Jason Pegg, concluded Harry had died from taking a toxic combination of heroin, diazepam and alcohol but he was unable to say how he had obtained the drugs.

Regional news »

Evesham Observer
Family takes on mud to get Ben on the move

KIND-HEARTED fund-raisers have arranged a mud run and cycle challenge ...

Redditch Standard
Alex worker desperate to help family in Nepal

A LOCAL man is desperately trying to raise funds to ...

Leamington Observer
Worker prevents fraudsters taking £5K from pensioner

A QUICK-THINKING bank worker stopped fraudsters in their tracks after ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Business Directory »

See your advert here »