Hi: 21° Lo:12°
By IH Wednesday 10 October 2012 Updated: 06/12 14:43
COUNCIL tax bills in Warwickshire are set to be frozen for a fourth successive year.
Warwickshire County Council leader Coun Alan Farnell has welcomed news the government will be extending the council tax freeze grant. It gives a one-off payment equivalent to raising tax by one per cent in 2013/14 and 2014/15 to all authorities who continue to freeze rates.
Coun Farnell, who heads up the Tory-controlled council, said: “We welcome a move that will help households hit by tightening budgets.
“Obviously there is still a process to consider the consequences and budgets that need to be agreed.
"However, my view is that it is extremely likely that the county council will take up the government’s offer and that our council tax will remain at the same level for the fourth consecutive year, with a zero increase for the last three years. We appreciate the hard economic circumstances our residents are facing and we are committed to giving them value for money.
“We have been able to keep council tax at the same level by making extensive savings in how we deliver our services. We will continue the process of working closely with partners, where we are reducing costs by sharing accommodation, equipment and staff, so that we can continue to do so.”
The county council account for the lion's share of the household council bill at around 80 per cent. The remaining 20 per cent is split between the district, town and parish councils, and the police.
In Warwickshire the council tax for an average band D property is £1,155.25.
* FRASER Pithie, Conservative Warwickshire Police Commissioner candidate, has promised to freeze the police element of the council tax across Warwickshire if elected.
He said despite local authorities in the county freezing their element of the tax over the past couple of years, and Rugby for even longer, the policing element of council tax had risen every year since the mid 90s except for 2011/12.
The police element of the total council tax bill accounts for just over ten per cent.
A MUM has spoken of the vital importance
A WOMAN has died after being hit by
HEALTH chiefs will push ahead this year with
LESS than a year ago central England was
A WEATHER warning has been issued about strong winds and ...
HEALTH chiefs would be held more accountable for the closure ...
THREE people were rushed to hospital after the car they ...