Thursday 15 November 2012 Updated: 21/12 08:46
STRATFORD District Council are to take the government to court over plans to build 800 homes in Shottery.
Councillors voted on Thursday (November 15) in favour of challenging the green-light given by Secretary of State for Communities Eric Pickles in the face of almost unanimous local opposition, including the district council, Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, and Stratford MP Nadhim Zahawi.
Coun Chris Williams, Chairman of Regulatory Committee, said: “The committee was unanimous in its decision, showing full support for the course of action.”
Mr Pickles announced his decision to approve an appeal by JS Bloor Homes to build the huge development on land near Anne Hathaway's Cottage.
The planning application by JS Bloor Homes and Hallam Land Management for up to 800 new homes, a new primary school, health centre and local shops was originally rejected by the district council in 2011. Further to an appeal held earlier this year, the Secretary of State decided planning permission should be granted.
The council will now contest the decision based on legal advice.
Council leader Coun Chris Saint, said: “I was pleased that a unanimous decision was made that reflected the many representations I have received.”
ANGER has greeted news another set of traffic
A PENSIONER suffered crush injuries after a collision
SEVERN Trent Water customers in Warwickshire will continue
THE PRIDE of Stratford gathered to celebrate all
A PAEDOPHILE has been jailed for 12 years for sexually ...
A PENSIONER left prisoner in his own home after thieves ...
NEIGHBOURS whose alertness led to the swift arrest of two ...