Stratford council chiefs warn black henna could be toxic - The Stratford Observer
Online Editions

12th Aug, 2022

Stratford council chiefs warn black henna could be toxic

Catherine Thompson 22nd Jul, 2019 Updated: 22nd Jul, 2019

A WARNING has been issued about the the danger of ‘toxic black henna’ tattoos.

Stratford District Council says while traditional henna – which dyes the skin a shade of orange, burgundy, brown or coffee – is safe, black henna is completely different.

It is often made using hair dye called Para-phenylendiamine and is so toxic it is illegal to use on the skin.

The reaction starts between three to ten days after the henna tattoo is applied and can cause blisters, scars, potentially life-threatening allergic reactions and increase the likelihood of becoming allergic to other dyes in the future.

A council spokeswoman said: “Although there are no known cases within Stratford, we are issuing this warning as during the summer months traders may offer black henna tattoos and customers can be mistaken into thinking these tattoos are safe. Some may be, but some are not.”

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Stratford Observer.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Stratford Observer.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Stratford Observer newspaper.