Lucky escape prompts warning from fire chiefs - The Stratford Observer
Online Editions

19th Aug, 2022

Lucky escape prompts warning from fire chiefs

A LUCKY escape for a Stratford family whose faulty freezer went up in flames has prompted a warning from fire chiefs.

The family were alerted by the fire alarm and escaped to safety as smoke filled their Corelli Close on December 9. Firefighters quickly put out the blaze.

Residents are being reminded to register new appliances.

Service spokesman Moreno Francioso said: “What people don’t realise is that faulty electrical items are a leading cause of fire.

“In 2015/16 almost 60 per cent of house fires in Warwickshire involved electricity. This is why it is so important to register appliances. Once a customer has registered their appliance, they will be notified of any safety repair or recall that is required.

“If the family had not had a working smoke alarm, we could have been looking at a very different story. Residents should check smoke alarms regularly, it only takes a moment to push that red button and can be the difference between life and death.”

Visit registermyappliance.org.uk to register appliances or www.whitegoodsafety.com for advice on using appliances safely.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Recruitment

Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Stratford Observer.

Printing

We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.