Stratford residents urged to check they are registered to vote ahead of expected election - The Stratford Observer
Online Editions

12th Aug, 2022

Stratford residents urged to check they are registered to vote ahead of expected election

RESIDENTS are being urged to check they are on the electoral register ahead of the expected general election.

Stratford District Council (SDC) recently sent out ‘household enquiry forms’ for residents to submit their details.

Although residents are not obliged to vote, submitting details is a legal obligation as the register is also used to provide credit checks and jury service selection. Those failing to respond will be visited by council officer.

SDC democratic services manager David Dalby said: “If you want to vote, you need to be on the electoral register. If there are no changes to the list of people on the household enquiry form sent to each property. It’s so easy to respond by phone, text or internet. If there are changes, we need to have the form back with the additions or deletions.

“More than 80 per cent have returned the forms so far – we are keen to keep the district council’s costs down by encouraging the return of the remaining 20 per cent.

“Voting is an opportunity for you to have your say on important issues which affect your everyday life. Not only could any omissions cost you your right to vote, it could also affect your credit rating and have serious repercussions for things such as mortgages, phone contracts and credit card applications.”

Visiting officers will carry photo ID which can be confirmed by calling the district council on 01789 260208.

Visit www.gov.uk/register-to-vote for more information and to register online.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Stratford Observer to boost your online presence.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Stratford Observer newspaper.