THIEVES in Warwickshire have been taking advantage of the heatwave by sneaking into homes through open windows.
Police said there were several such burglaries in the county last night (Thursday July 26) – the hottest of the year.
In some cases, car keys and valuables were taken through open windows.
Detective Inspector Ruby Nailor said: “I appreciate people want to leave their windows open during the hot weather but it is important to remember that this presents opportunities for criminals.
“It only takes a few seconds for a burglar to get into your property and steal something valuable. Please take sensible precautions.”
Police offered the following advice:
- Ensure all your windows and doors are locked when you go out and go to bed – don’t forget, burglars can squeeze through small windows
- Don’t leave windows or doors open on the ground floor when you’re elsewhere in the house – it only takes a few seconds for a burglar to get in and out
- Keep valuable items, including car keys, away from open windows
- Don’t leave your car keys on display in the house – put them in a drawer
- Set your alarm when you are out and when you go to bed.