Warwickshire MPs reflect on Brexit vote - The Stratford Observer
Online Editions

13th Aug, 2022

Warwickshire MPs reflect on Brexit vote

Stratford Editorial 2nd Jul, 2016 Updated: 28th Oct, 2016

NADHIM Zahawi has expressed his delight after Britain voted to leave the European Union.

Stratford’s Conservative MP declared his intention to vote leave in the EU referendum from the start, and he was thrilled the majority of voters in his constituency agreed. A turnout of just over 80 per cent in the district saw 51.6 per cent (40,817) in favour of leaving the EU, and 48.4 per cent – almost mirroring the national result.

Mr Zahawi told the Observer: “I am delighted the voters of Stratford and the United Kingdom as a whole have decided our future will be better outside of the European Union.

“This decision has now been made, and we should respect the sincerely held views of everyone who voted, for whichever side.

“Now we must get on with the task of creating a fair immigration system, build a dynamic economy that delivers for every family in the country and secure our new relationship with the European Union.”

Town businessman and pro-Brexit campaigner, Denys Shortt, welcomed Boris Johnson and Michael Gove to DCS Group’s Timothy‚Äôs Bridge Road headquarters ahead of the referendum to rally support for the Leave campaign.

Mr Shortt said: “This is a great day for democracy and a new dawn for the United Kingdom.

“The future is bright as we will now be able to make our own decisions and not be ruled by an unelected group of people in Brussels.”

MP Jeremy Wright, and whose Kenilworth and Southam constituency takes in Wellesbourne, was disappointed having backed the Remain campaign.

But Mr Wright, who is also Attorney General, said it was now important to build for the future.

He told the Observer: “Britain has made a clear decision to leave the European Union and the government’s job now is to carry out the will of the British people.

“I understand the Prime Minister’s decision to resign though I profoundly regret it. He made the brave and right decision to give the electorate a say directly on the question of our membership of the EU. We should now come together to build a future outside it.”

Warwick and Leamington MP Chris White was equally disappointed having also backed Remain.

He said: “It is now of the utmost importance that we focus on creating stability but I am confident that the issue of leaving the European Union will receive extensive scrutiny and debate in Parliament.”

Warwick district was the only area in Warwickshire to vote for Britain to stay in the EU, with 58.8 per cent (47,976 votes) in favour of remaining, opposed to 41.2 per cent (33,642) against. Turnout in the neighbouring district was just under 80 per cent.

Turn to page 7 for the business reaction to Brexit, and the thoughts of one of our MEPs.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Stratford Observer newspaper.

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.