Warwickshire Police announce review of security measures following Manchester terrorist attack - The Stratford Observer
Online Editions

10th Aug, 2022

Warwickshire Police announce review of security measures following Manchester terrorist attack

Catherine Thompson 23rd May, 2017 Updated: 23rd May, 2017

WARWICKSHIRE Police have announced they will be reviewing security measures following the Manchester terrorist attack to ensure the safety of the community.

They have released the following statement:¬†“It has been heart warming to see the people of Manchester come together to support each other and the emergency services. It is testimony to the overwhelming power of community spirit.

“Across the counties that we serve we regularly review our security measures and we will be doing this again today to ensure that all is being done to keep you and your families safe.

“It remains vital that the police and the public work together to combat terrorism. If you have any information about suspicious activity or behaviour you can report it in confidence by calling the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.”

West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) also lent support to colleagues dealing with the attack.

Ten ambulances and a paramedic officer were sent to assist the North West Ambulance Service.

A WMAS spokesperson said: “Our ambulance crews were tasked to respond to other 999 calls in Manchester to allow for our North West colleagues to concentrate on the incident.

“Our thoughts are very much with our colleagues in the emergency services and the people of Manchester.”

WMAS thanked its staff who worked late into the night to oversee support of their colleagues.

The blast happened at around 10.30pm last night (Monday) at the end of a concert by US singer Ariana Grande.

Greater Manchester Police said the lone male attacker, who died in the blast, was carrying a homemade explosive device.

The explosion came shortly after the singer left the stage of the 21,000 capacity venue – and 60 ambulances rushed to the scene.

So far 22 people, including children, have been confirmed dead, and scores of wounded are now being treated at six hospitals around the city.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd said it was a “barbaric attack, deliberately targeting some of the most vulnerable in our society”.

She added: “The great city of Manchester has been affected by terrorism before. Its spirit was not bowed, its community continued.

“This time it has been a particular attack on the most vulnerable in our society – its intention was to sow fear – its intention is to divide. But it will not succeed.”

Relatives are using social media for news of missing loved ones.

Police are now working to establish whether the attacker was acting alone or as part of a network.

 

Police have set up an emergency telephone number in response to the attack – 0161 856 9400.

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Stratford Observer.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Stratford Observer.